thevintagehousethatcould

thevintagehousethatcould
Please pop over to my new website and blog X

19 April 2015

Tire of London tire of life....




I have had a ridiculous love affair with London since my first trip back when I was 9. Since then I have visited countless times to visit my lovely friend Zoe.  Zoe has lived in various places from New Cross Gate to Muswell Hill to Highbury to Battersea so we have done a bit of exploring over the years and had many an adventure. She now lives in Crystal Palace.

When she text me before this trip and said what do you fancy doing I said "a bit of flea market/vintage hunting please" and we have certainly done that but little did I know that the entire weekend would have a retro vintage vibe. 

We have been to some amazing venues and I wanted to share them with you. 

On Saturday morning we headed to Kings Cross. They are really spending a lot of money rejuvenating the area and a really nice spot is Granary Square. Large old factory buildings being used for various ventures. We went to the Mac Conner illustration exhibition which was lovely to see. Amazing illustrations from the 50s, a very talented man. There are also some really nice places to eat and sit ( if it is sunny ) 



We then headed to Stoke Newington where we went to a vintage fair and then had lunch. Stokey is a lovely London village with lots of little independent shops and cafes. We took a walk up to Dalston  got a little thirsty and needed a refreshment stop! This is where we discovered Farr's School of Dancing which I have since learnt used to be a dance school in the late 30s and now has been transformed into a fab bar. Gorgeous old fixtures, theatre seats, original dance pictures and amazing wallpaper in the toilet...







Our friend Emma said we should go to Forest Hill next to go into Sylvan Post. This is another cool place which used to be the local post office. This is where you can sit in the vaults and have a drink, grab some food and look at all of the old Post Office fixtures which adorn the walls. We stayed in here for ages because it was just so chilled and friendly. Sorry I didn't take more pictures. 


Next stop over the road in Forest Hill was The Dartmouth Arms. Cosy and full of more retro finds




So after quite a heavy night and not to mention an even heavier night on Friday we needed a good breakfast inside us and no better than The Crystal Palace Market. Beautifully styled, great food and tea. What more could you want? Highly recommended. 



Oh and trip to London wouldn't be complete without the obigatory house shot. If this is your house opposite the indoor flea market in Crystal Palace then you are very lucky and I love your house! 

Did I say that I LOVE LONDON?




No comments:

Post a Comment